Sunday, January 11, 2009

Cupcakes, round 3 (and Dan's birthday)

Does this look like dinner instead of dessert? Since it is Dan's birthday and he is on a diet, we thought we would make some healthful cupcakes (ha ha) Here we are in our creative process, tidiness just stifles creativity! This is Sam, Jan, Hanna, and Danica
Here is the complete dinner (mashed potatoes & gravy and butter; peas and carrots; and chocolate pudding for dessert). Yes, they were delicious! The chicken drumstick cupcakes didn't make it on the menu because we were short one ingredient. Maybe next time.
Dan and his posterity. Everyone was making faces and laughing about it but we managed to get a picture with mostly normal faces.
For Dan's birthday he spent two days in Las Vegas with his family. He played golf both days with his brothers and also saw his Mom and two sisters as well. He had a great time but forgot the camera. We are waiting for his brother to email some pictures to us so we can document the fun times in Vegas.
Today he opened our present that we made while he was out of town. We think it turned out pretty great, so masculine. Dan frequently washes dishes or starts breakfast while in his work clothes or church clothes so he needs an apron. Everyone chose the fabric for their own hand print from the boxes of left over fabric that we have. Then we traced their hands and made hand prints out of fabric using the quilting skills that I learned last year. Isn't Dan cute? And he is never more attractive than when he is washing the dishes :)
This apron is a replacement for one that we made several years ago. The old one is smaller and the hand prints were done in puff paint. After many washings, the puff paint and permanent marker is quite faded. We like the replacement.

8 comments:

Margaret Proffitt said...

I like the replacement too. So cute. And those cupcakes are amazing. What did you use to make the peas and carrots? They look so real!

Anonymous said...

You guys need to go in to the cupcake business! And I love the apron, what a great idea!

Kathryn said...

Very cute. Ryan wants one too. Hopefully someday I'll be able to say that I too used the quilting skills I learned last year. Someday. Ryan also informs me that I am supposed to learn how to make church books from you.

Tell Danica we enjoyed her talk and she did great even with a huge congregation. I would have been terrified.

Dan and Jan said...

The peas and carrots are orange starbursts and green tootsie rolls. The butter is a yellow tootsie roll and the gravy is caramel sauce.

Patrice said...

Oh, Jannalee, you are so talented! What a perfect gift. If Dan needs more opportunity to use his apron, I have a few dirty dishes I can lend him!

jen said...

WHEN do you have have time to make cupcakes? I barely have time to make dinner, let alone fancy dessert!

Gail said...

Those cupcake ideas area amazing! You really should go into business. I love the apron too! There really is nothing more attractive than a man doing dishes or ANY housework:).

Brad said...

Um, Dan? You have an apron on dude.