Thursday, September 24, 2009

Healthy Fall Cooking Idea


This month, I tried a new recipe that called for only a small amount of pumpkin. Then I had most of the can left over, but I HATE to waste food. So while I was making pancakes the next morning, I decided instead of substituting applesauce for half the oil, I would use the pumpkin. I figured it wouldn't be a very strong taste and it sounded good in whole wheat pancakes. My family didn't even notice any difference! So then I decided to use the rest of it in everything I was making. Some went into the bagels (no difference), and Hanna used some in these ginger snaps which are also half wheat.

Pumpkin would actually be very complimentary in ginger snaps but there really isn't any noticeable difference from the all shortening recipe. They are still soft and delicious. So if you have some pumpkin left over, don't be afraid to try it in all your baking. It is very easy to use in place of the fat and it's good for you too. I think I'll open another can :)

6 comments:

Margaret Proffitt said...

This is one of my favorite tricks! Mostly because I love pumpkin. One can of pumpkin plus a box of spice cake mix = delicious cookies. It's great for Weight Watchers too because the pumpkin has lots of fiber. You can do the same thing with a can of diet soda, but I prefer pumpkin.

Dan and Jan said...

What a great idea, thanks for the tip!

Spence said...

Those ginger snaps were darn tasty too.

Patrice said...

Great idea! And its about to become very cheap, too!

sherry said...

what a great idea! If only I baked...

Mariah said...

Mmmmmm...... my Favorite!