Thursday, September 24, 2009

Birthday Cakes


Hanna has graduated from cupcakes to full sized cakes. Personally, I still like cupcakes better because they are less temperamental. Hanna has also graduated from butter cream frosting to fondant. Fondant is fun because it is like play-doh. Fondant from the store tastes yucky. So, Hanna found a recipe for homemade fondant. It is made from marshmallows and tastes yummy. So now we are on a wonderful adventure becoming familiar with fondant. Hanna's cousin Kylee turned 16 this month so Hanna made her this cake. I especially liked the roses. Hanna doesn't mind if I help her with mundane tasks such as rolling fondant balls.
This week Danica turned 13, so here is Dani's birthday cake. Hanna designed it to display Danica's talents and interests (tumbling, music and daisies). We decided to try cake fillings this time but we learned a lot about what not to do. Next time it will be better. On the bright side, the fillings were delicious. We had chocolate cake with caramel cream cheese filling and vanilla cake with whipped chocolate ganache filling. Very tasty.

(I forgot I took these pictures- the insides of the cakes)

4 comments:

Scrivener said...

How do you expect me concentrate on work for the rest of the day after reading the phrase "caramel cream cheese filling". Heartless.

Callie Proffitt Christiansen said...

I love it! I wish I did it more.

sherry said...

That is awesome. She should teach a class.

Mariah said...

WOW! Iam astonished!!! Amazing Cakes! Way'ta'go'!