Sunday, May 17, 2009

I wish . . .

I wish I had the ability to formulate my thoughts into entertaining and informative sentences and paragraphs. But, since I don't have that gift, I wish I could write in a way that would at least accurately portray my own thoughts. For instance, when I wrote that I might have lower expectations for mother's day, my sweet husband was a bit offended. That wasn't the way it was meant at all. I was trying to say that I am not one of those Mom's that expects breakfast in bed, showers of gifts, or a perfect home for the day. I really am very happy with homemade gifts, cards and the occasional sacrament meeting talk :). I also enjoy the fact that I will not be allowed to wash one dish on Mother's day, even though I have heard about other Mother's that still do all the cleaning on their special day. I think I opt for brevity over clarity because I know my own limitations, or I am just lazy.

I wish I was a more thoughtful person. Sadly, I was so busy enjoying myself on Mother's Day that I all but forgot my own mother. But I really am so grateful for what she taught me about motherhood and homemaking and faith. I am the person I am today because of the example of my Mother. My sisters say I am a lot like her, which I take as a compliment.

I wish I was more patient. I think that patient people are more able to enjoy their children. Patience is something that hovers on my horizon, just out of my grasp.

In spite of all my wishing, I know that I have reason to be eternally grateful. Grateful for my husband, who though not perfect, diligently tries to be all I need him to be. Grateful for my amazing children and the opportunity I have to be their mother. Grateful for my neighborhood, community and good friends. Grateful for my home, and my 12 passenger van :). Most of all, grateful for my testimony. For my knowledge of a loving Heavenly Father and my Savior, Jesus Christ. For a plan of happiness which can lead us back to our heavenly home with joy in the journey. Grateful for my eternal marriage which seals my family to me forever. Grateful for the peace that I can feel every day by striving to be worthy of the many blessings which are mine.

I will try to be less wishful and more grateful.

5 comments:

Margaret Proffitt said...

What a lovely post!

Ryan said...

This news that Dan is not perfect is a shocking revelation .

Patrice said...

I, too, am grateful for my Savior. It's so wonderful to walk with you and hear your great ideas and occasional testimony.

jen said...

I'm sad Dan misunderstood your M Day comment. I agree completely. I used to be one of those moms that was continually disappointed on M Day until I got it into my head that all I really want is my family and that is the best. What would I do with a fancy diamond necklace anyway? Not really my thing. But spray painted hand molds and coupons? Now that's my style!

Anonymous said...

I have to say Janalee that your post brought tears to my eyes. As a new member of the church I think it is so awesome when I hear my friends talk about heavenly Father and our eternal families. It truly puts joy in my heart.