Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Girls Camp

Hey everybody, this is Hanna here. I just recently got back from girls camp, and decided that I wanted to share my little camp experience with everyone, so i got the ok from mom to blog. So, here goes...

This year, was my fourth year of girls camp; therefore, I was a fourth year. Usually, fourth years get to go on a backpacking hike and do various other fun activities, such as swimming in a lake, canoeing, and sleeping in tents. But, this year, I am sorry to say, was absolutely insane! If you know any 15 year old girls in the Mt. View stake ask them about it, I'm sure they'd love to complain, I mean tell you about our experience... But, alas, I don't have nearly enough time to explain the whole story. So, to make my long story short, I've created a list of the top 10 worst things that we endured through on our lovely hike.

10. We hiked in a cloud. Thus, causing it to rain and pour the whole day and night.
9. We had to carry 20 pound backpacks plus the weight of soggy clothes, sleeping bags, and food.
8. Wearing oh so lovely ponchos. (I’m sad to say that I didn’t get a picture of us wearing our attractive ponchos… oh well.)
7. Waiting over 2 hours for all the girls and leaders to finish repelling.
6. Slipping and falling (yes, this includes me) on wet rocks.
5. Listening to constant complaints from the girls (no, this didn't include me)
4. Having to stop in a random spot on the trial to set up camp, while it was still raining and dark. (Luckily Me+ 5 helpful girlies = a tent set up in under 5 minutes. That’s pretty Impressive for us girls :)
3. Not having enough time or energy to make dinner that night AND breakfast the next
morning.
2. Having to pee in the woods. That was an interesting experience...
1. Sleeping in a puddle of water, next to five other girls, in a three man tent, on top of rocks merely covered by a thin sleeping bag, wearing only a semi-dry tee shirt and our undies.

Good times. Good times.

Ok, ok, i can’t just mention all the horribly bad occurrences that happened on our hike, that would be unfair. So here are the top 5 best things that made our hike bearable.

5. Seeing all the different girls come together and help one another through the hike. I was seriously surprised by how kind and caring we were to help each other through the mountain.
Example:
Brooke: Here Hanna grab my hand, this parts slippery. ok, step on this rock, now jump.
Hanna: Thanks Brooke! (turns around) ok Sabrina grab my hand it's a bit slippery. Step, and jump.
Etc. it was like a chain reaction and totally nice.
4. Hearing Bro. P yodel. This was totally amazing, and he said it's hereditary so I’ll have to ask Josh about it. :)
3. Having an amazing story to tell for years to come.
2. We were all able to gain stronger testimonies after our hiking experience because we knew that Heavenly Father was watching us the whole time
1. Being blessed with the most amazing leaders, (Bro. and Sis. Brewer and Bro. and Sis. Peterson) who I swear could do anything. I am so grateful for them and their positive attitudes which helped us keep going and finish the hike.


Well, now that that’s done, Picture Time!

Kathryn and Hanna. Notice our smiling faces BEFORE we began our hike.

Foggy mountain

When we finally made it back to our camp we all just crashed in our cabbins. This is the lovely Jenna VanLueven writing in her journal, she was so awesome.

Sunday! Ok, it is so hard trying to camp in a skirt! Ahh

One of our daily events, riding in the back of a tuck to the main camp to attend classes with the rest of our stake.
Hanna Evans and Sharol Evans :)

No, we're not related... I think.
Smile cute little teenagers!
UGH!!! You guys ruined the picture! let's try this again... Smile!

Awww! That's better, how cute :)
Crandalls and Evans. Love you guys!

Sistas! (Dani wouldn't smile so i had to attack her. It worked :)

Jenna, Catie, and Clara making cards for our service project. I just love their camping hair do's :)
Day dreamers! Corina and me
Another daily occurance, hanging out in the eating area... eating food
Chin contest. I think Corina won. Girls are wierd :)
Our Fabulous leaders! Sorry for the blury picture, they were dancing.
WOW Bro. P!
Ha ha we slept in the kitchen :) Hey, every where else was cold :)
This is Aly and squishy on the bus ride home. Fun!
Well, that's all i have time for so, if you have any questions fell free to ask :)

3 comments:

Spence said...

I'm glad you were able to have fun despite the Hike through Hades. I think that VanLeuven girl's dad was my scoutmaster when he was younger than I am now. Now I starting to feel old. Gee, thanks Hanna!

Patrice said...

Oh, man, at least you got some good pics. I wish I could have seen you running around in the rain and no pants on! Thanks for being such a great friend to Kathryn and making it a great trip.

Rebecca said...

Great post Hanna! Almost as good as your Mom's :)! Kylee is jealous, she thinks she should have gone with you...