Thursday, March 27, 2008

Exodus Trek

Our Stake did this really great youth Exodus Trek. We were gone for three days and two nights. Margaret and Clark watched our younger children (Thanks guys!). Dan and Jan went as parents to a group of youth in the Tribe of Simeon. Chandler and Hanna went as youth in other families. Joy and Dave went as parents also in the tribe of Simeon. We had about 350 people divided into the 12 tribes of Israel. We used handcarts to trek into the wilderness where we build a tabernacle exactly like the one Moses carried around the desert for 40 years, only slightly smaller. The youth worked hard, got dirty and hopefully gained a greater understanding of the Old Testament and our Savior.

Here is Dan on the right after we just loaded up our handcart.
Chandler, with his tribal banner, tribe of Naphtali
Here is part of the tribe of Simeon at the stake center before we left on the trek.
The first night: this is Kellee and Hanna eating dinner with Simeon Tribe.
Jan and Joy
Hanna, Jan, Chandler, and Dan. Hanna and Chandler would occasionally take a break from their own tribes and visit us in Simeon tribe. It was fun to see them. Our kids in our Simeon family would call us Mom and Dad and one time Chandler was sitting by me when someone else said "Mom?" to me. Chandler said "that was weird". We got a laugh.
Here is Chandler pulling his handcart with his tribe Dad.
Chandler in the tabernacle. I didn't take any other pictures of the tabernacle but it was really cool! I'll have to figure out how to get Dave's pictures on my blog.
Hanna with her tribe banner, tribe of Manasseh.
Dan and Jannalee on our first night. It was amazing that it could be so warm in the day and so freezing at night! I have to say that sleeping on the ground with a thin pad in the cold is no way to get any sleep. I was always happy to see the sun come up so I could get up from the sleepless night!
This was an awesome experience, I hope Chandler and Hanna enjoyed it and appreciated it as much as I did.

1 comment:

Brittney Swenson said...

The trek looks authentic....I'm here with gma jo, mari, elise, chloe and elle. We all loved looking at your pics!